Monday 7 October 2013

Design No.1 Finished

Having received so much encouragement and instruction there was nothing left to do but have a go at long and short stitch. And I think that I did okay.



I was a little surprised how blended the first and second shade of green were. While you can recognise the three rows of stitching you can't distinguish the three greens so easily. 
I must mention that I did substitute the Appletons colours from the original instructions and used shades 342, 343 and 346. I think using 344 rather than 343 would probably have been a better choice in this leaf size. 




So, some additional Crewel Embroidery rules:
  • take care with colour selection, be aware there are up to 9 shades (or values) of a single colour with Appletons Crewel wools
  • if you strictly alternate stitch lengths when doing long and short stitch then you will probably end up with the same ladder effect as I did below. It is fine but as you get more experience you develop the skill to blend your long and longer stitches and no more ladder look.


Don't you just love being a beginner and starting something new - such enthusiasm to get a project finished. When I look back now at Design No.1 I find that from start to finish was only seven days. No risk of a UFO* here!


Stitching dimensions: Width 10cm x Height 11 cm
Finishing dimensions: Width 12cm x Height 14.5 cm
Fabric: Linen
Thread: Appletons Crewel Wool Mid Olive Green 342, 343, 346
Design Source: Shelagh Amor Design No. 1, Crewel Embroidery - A Practical Guide

*UFO: UnFinished Object or PHD if you prefer, Project Half Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment