Wednesday 23 October 2013

Beginner's Crewel - Lesson Two

Two weeks later and I am back at Embroidery House for Lesson Two of my Beginner's Crewel Class. 

To get this far I practised on my doodle cloth if I was unsure of a stitch. This did involve re-visiting one or two stitch techniques so I used the two Crewel Embroidery books I had already bought as my sources of information. I found the books to be great memory joggers of what Marj had taught us.



I did struggle getting the Coral Knot Stitch to come up as well as I would like, it is a stitch that still challenges me to this day. I think it is my 'nemesis' stitch - the one that if it can go wrong, it will go wrong!

Anyway, I stitched as much of the design as I could. I did redo some parts I had done in Lesson One and became quite proficient in 'reverse stitching'. I have since learnt that this term is for fussy stitcher's like me who will undo, then redo their work to get it just right.



In Lesson Two Marj then taught us:
  • Chain Stitch
  • Seeding
  • Squared Filling Stitch
  • Couching
  • Buttonhole Stitch
  • French Knots
  • Whipped Spider Stitch

During the lesson and over the next 10 days I thoroughly enjoyed stitching the design.



Thank you to Marj for a lovely design, expert tuition and the warm and friendly classroom. 

If you recall though, that is not all we were to be taught in the Beginner's Crewel Class. So while the stitching may be finished the piece is not. It still needed to be 'Blocked' and 'Laced'. 

And while we did receive instruction on doing these tasks we didn't get time to see them demonstrated so I was still unsure of how to do them. So next, I set about looking for other opportunities at the EGV* to learn about them.

* EGV = Embroiderer's Guild of Victoria (http://www.embroiderersguildvic.org/)

No comments:

Post a Comment