Tuesday 15 October 2013

A Quick Grip Clamp?

So when you read down the Requirements List for my Beginner's Crewel Class in my previous post what did you make of the item called a "Quickgrip Clamp"?

Now that I know what this item is it all makes good sense but when I first read it I have to admit to being a little bamboozled. I did ask around and it seemed all those that answered were nodding wisely at me and agreeing about the importance of such a tool. 

It turns out that Fine Art Embroidery takes a far bit of hardware and I have since accumulated a number of pieces of equipment you would think more closely related to carpentry than to a needle and thread. So off to Bunnings, our local hardware store I went with Quickgrip Clamps the purchase from my first visit.



And why do you need them?

The next very important Crewel Embroidery rule is that having two hands free is necessary to complete some of the stitches, in fact most of them. So the Quickgrip Clamps allow you to attach your embroidery frame or hoop to a stable object so you don't have to hold it.

So very simple, so very important.



Here is one of my frames attached to a towel rail we don't use any more. Turns out a towel rail is not a bad support for an embroidery frame.

And once you have your Quickgrip Clamps they suddenly become useful for all sorts of jobs. For example, when using a sharp blade to cut matt board or foam core I find it easier to get a straight edge if I keep everything stable with Quickgrip Clamps - especially as I don't want to repeat the slashed finger injury of 1994, I still have the scar to remind me!


So useful are Quickgrip Clamps that I think that having a pair should be a Crewel Embroidery rule!

No comments:

Post a Comment