Wednesday 6 November 2013

Majestie Finished

Having finished my Beginner's Crewel Class project I turned my attention back to my Majestie project, confident now that I would be able to complete it.

You can read about the Majestie project in previous posts:


And this proved to be the case.



 My observations from doing this design from the A-Z of Crewel Embroidery were:
  • the instructions were at times quite difficult to follow with my level of experience as some of the stitches that appeared in the sample picture and had threads allocated to them in the Embroidery Key didn't have specific instructions
  • I tested using one thread or two but would have appreciated knowing what the designer used - I ended up using two because I thought it gave the best coverage
  • there were threads that I substituted when I couldn't get the Cascade House mohair. I was recommended Gumnut Daisies and while they did produce a different finish I don't think changed the impact of the overal design. The Gumnut Daisies thread was absolutely lovely to use and I would use them again.


I completed the design on a relatively small piece of the linen twill so I thought I would be limited in what I might choose to do with this piece.

It did take me a few months, but in time for my Mum's birthday in mid-November 2011 I had solved my dilemma. 

With twisted cord found at a Craft Fair and perfectly matching sample fabric found at the EGV's Paddy's Market, Majestie became the centrepiece of a cushion. 

Much loved and still holding pride of place on my Mum's favourite chair to this day - I couldn't be happier!



Stitching dimensions: Width 14.5 cm x Height 20 cm
Cushion Finishing dimensions: Width 34 cm x Height 34 cm
Ground Fabric: Linen Twill
Thread: 
Appletons Crewel Wool Flame Red 206, Grass Green 255, Grey Green 354, 357
Watercolours by Caron 021 Peach Melba, 093 Painted Desert
Cascade House Mohair Substitutions: Cascade House Shaded Crewel Wool Col 1790 and Gumnut Yarns Daisies 869, 829, 039

Design Source: Majestie by Avril Ambrose-De Havilland in Crewel A-Z by Country Bumpkin

Stitches used:
  • Split Stitch
  • Satin Stitch
  • Whipped Chain Stitch
  • French Knots
  • Straight Stitch
  • Long and Short Stitch
  • Blanket Stitch
  • Raised Stem Stitch
  • Chain Stitch
  • Cross Stitch Couching

No comments:

Post a Comment