Monday 30 September 2013

Design No. 1 Started

So what would be the right size project to get started on?

Having borrowed Crewel Embroidery - A Practical Guide from the *EGV Library and having the author available for extra help it seemed silly not to go to the first project in the book called quite simply 'Design No.1".

*EGV = Embroiderers Guild of Victoria : http://www.embroiderersguildvic.org/






There are very clear instructions on the requirements you need for the project and I was very keen to get going. I used:
  • a piece of tightly woven linen fabric
  • size 3 & 4 Crewel needles
  • Appletons Crewel wool in 3 shades of the one colour
  • a wooden hoop with the inner ring bound
  • Embroidery scissors
  • tracing paper
  • a transfer pen, water eraseable
I don't know about you but I love nothing more than wandering into an Embroidery Supply Shop and looking at all the glorious threads. Inevitably I buy something because I can't resist and my stash gets bigger with all the best of intentions. 

To purchase threads with purpose is an even better experience especially when they are the last remaining requirement needed to get a new project started. 

As you can imagine there was no waiting around until next months Guidance Group now. Once the the design was traced and transferred I was on my way following the instructions carefully.

This picture is about the half-way point in Design No. 1 - next I needed to tackle Long and Short Stitch. And being the Harry Potter fan that I am, it seemed to me that when you mention 'Long and Short Stitch' you might as well be saying 'Voldemort' at the top of your voice, such is the reaction of many an experienced stitcher!



Very important Crewel Embroidery rules I had learned at this stage:
  • Always stitch the furthest away element first and then work your way forward
  • Woollen thread should be cut into lengths of no more than 18 inches
  • Use a size 3 needle for two threads and a size 4 for one thread
  • You need a sharp pair of Embroidery scissors

If you would like to know more about Crewel Embroidery - A Practical Guide it has been reviewed by Mary Corbet on Needle 'n' Thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment